Friday, July 21, 2006

Numbers


I have been reading Numbers, and it is intense. Today was ch. 16, where twice Moses & Aaron had to fall facedown before the Lord begging Him not to wipe out the entire people of Israel. God keeps telling them to get out the way "so I can put an end to them at once."
Whoa!

This time the cause was Korah & etc. Levites, rising against Moses, claiming he is going too far in "lording it over the people" and that they should be able to be priests for themselves.

A few things popped out:

* People dislike authority and are easily aroused to jealously of their power. Korah & peeps were guilty of this, & I often find it in my own heart. Why must I try to control things? Just trust in God's goodness & submit to leaders.

*People are (I am) stupid, whiney and forgetful when it comes to God. I'm constantly amazed at the Israelites. Time and again God provides for them (manna, the promised land, escape from Egyptian slavery, guidance in the desert), & God shows miraculous signs of His power, but somehow these people consistently make bad choices. They grumble against the food, they listen to the 10 spies instead of believing the Lord, they demonize Moses for their suffering & for the earth swallowing up the mutinous Levites. As if they had not seen the Red Sea part! As if they did not have a cloud and pillar of fire lingering over their camp at all times! As if they had not seen thousands of their own people plagued because of their whining! And most recently, they just watched the earth swallow up the people who challenged Moses. I would think they would shut up and do whatever he said! "Yes, Moses, whatever you want, guy!"

Sadly, I also listen to man, whine & complain, forget about the blessings & benefits from the Lord in the past and even right in front of me. It's humbling to see what humans are like as the drama of the Israelites unfolds in Numbers.

5 comments:

SB said...

this could be a Sam & Jenene song

Anonymous said...

Mom here--I agree with your comments about the Israelites AND us! :) Ready to write a song?

Jennene said...

Thanks for commenting, ya'll! Well, maybe I could work on the song idea. A whole album dedicated to Numbers would be cool, eh?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.